Pens&Needles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Founded: Sept. 19th, 2010

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Angel Chao 2 Welcome to Pens&Needles! Angel Chao 2

Gold and Amethyst :: DTAC Short Story (Second Gen)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kaez Alexandrov
Head Administrator
Kaez Alexandrov

Gold and Amethyst :: DTAC Short Story (Second Gen) Empty
PostSubject: Gold and Amethyst :: DTAC Short Story (Second Gen)   Gold and Amethyst :: DTAC Short Story (Second Gen) EmptyFri Dec 08, 2023 10:42 pm

Gold and Amethyst :: DTAC Short Story (Second Gen) Spoileralert

Spring 1996

Hogwarts’ halls were quiet as the sun set, students were keeping their heads down and their voices hushed to avoid facing Dolores Umbridge’s cruel punishments.

It had been particularly rough the last few weeks after she had been made Headmistress, her creative tortures became more frequent. Clarisse had gotten detention so many times that the scars atop her hand, from Umbridge’s Blood Quill, were illegible, melding together as they healed.

Within her aching grasp was a note from her boyfriend, Fred:

‘Avoid suspicion, meet me at the top of the Astronomy Tower at 5pm. Wear something nice.’

She kept her cloak shut as she walked, hiding the azure tulle skirt of her knee-length dress. She was thankful that her cousin managed to bribe Draco, so she didn’t have to worry about the Inquisitorial Squad stopping her in her tracks. Thankfully Peeves wasn’t fond of Umbridge, he wouldn’t be a problem either with proper persuasion.
But that didn’t mean Filch wasn’t keeping an eye out, though he mostly stuck around the entrance to the Room of Requirement; waiting for that door to reappear and catch some careless students going in.

It felt odd to Clarisse to be dressed up. Ever since Cedric Diggory’s death it seemed like the gloom of that day never let up, only getting worse with time. There wasn’t a reason anymore to get dolled up, and Umbridge made sure it stayed that way.

Fred and Clarisse resorted to snogging sessions through the different secret passageways where the Headmistress or her minions couldn’t find them. Public displays of affection were strictly prohibited on school grounds.

The halls emptied the closer she got to the tower, most students retreating to the common rooms, the rest marching to the Great Hall for another long night of blood and pain.

Although the halls seemed vacant, Clarisse couldn’t bring herself to relax. Feeling like someone had their eyes on her…

“Mreow.”

She gasped and turned around, nearly tripping over her feet. Mrs. Norris’s red eyes stared at her.

“Mreeeeooooooww!” The cat screeched.

In a panic, Clarisse took out her wand.
“Petrificus Totalus!”

Mrs. Norris was frozen in place, her face stuck midway to letting out another alerting screech.

Clarisse’s heart raced, realizing what she had done; her eyes darted around her, landing on a young Slytherin boy that seemed just as surprised as she was. She put her wand away.
“You saw nothing.”

The boy shook his head.
“No worries, I hate that stupid cat anyway.”

“That makes two of us.” Clarisse nodded. “Go on then, before you get in trouble.”

He nodded, but first he walked over to Mrs. Norris and lightly tapped her with his foot, causing her to fall on her side, before running away.

Clarisse looked down at her, feeling some pity for the animal, and put her back on her paws, though facing the opposite direction.
“Now we’re even,” she whispered before fleeing from the scene of the crime as well.

The rest of the way went smoothly, reaching the stairs unnoticed. She walked up slowly, listening for voices or footsteps, but there were none. When she reached the top, the open classroom seemed to be empty, aside from a shimmering transparent cloth near the balustrade looking out to the lake.

She smirked.
“I hope that’s a handsome Weasley under that invisibility cloak, and not mum’s favorite bespectacled child.”

“I hope so too,” Fred’s voice came from under the fabric.

Clarisse chuckled and pulled on the cloak, revealing him with a large bouquet of red roses, and irises who’s colors almost matched her indigo eyes.

“Hello, gorgeous.” He handed her the flowers, a warm smile on his face and a twinkle in his eyes that made Clarisse blush as she took hold of his gift.

“These are beautiful,” she smiled and took a good look at him.

His hair was neatly combed, and wore a tan suit that looked a bit large on him, with a purple vest and green tie. His green dress shoes, though scuffed, were polished so carefully they shined.

“Don’t you look dashing.” She got closer to him and gently pulled on his tie to kiss his lips, getting on her toes. She looked into his eyes, feeling her face get warm. “Fancy clothes, flowers; what’s the occasion?”

He wrapped an arm around her waist, his smile falling slightly.
“I needed to meet you in private, to talk.”

“Talk?” She tilted her head slightly. “Talk about what?”

His thumb stroked her side for a moment, looking deep in thought as if trying to find the right words.

Fred took a deep breath.
“George and I have decided we’ll leave Hogwarts tomorrow.”

“Oh.”

“I know, it’s sudden.”

“That’s an understatement.” Clarisse looked down at the floral arrangement, “I mean, I understand, it’s not the first time leaving has been brought up. I just hoped I would have more time to prepare.”

Fred put a finger under her chin and carefully lifted her gaze to his.
“I want you to come with us.”

She shook her head.
“I wish, but you know I can’t.” She sighed. “Someone needs to keep Eliza from hexing Umbridge, plus dad and uncle Noah would flip if I dropped out of school.”

He nodded.
“I’m sorry. It’s just… your family and Harry gave us all the money we needed to open up the shop, and there’s nothing Hogwarts can offer us for us to stay and put up with the pink toad.”

“Is this why you had me get all dressed up?” She looked at him, tearing up slightly. “To tell me this?”

“Well, that’s half of it.” He perked up.

“And the other half?”

The sound of grinding bricks made Clarisse turn- a door began to form in the middle of the room. Once it was fully built, the door cracked open an inch, the smell of perfume,  delicious food, and sounds of a softly strummed guitar emanated from it.

Fred gestured toward it.
“Ladies first.”

Clarisse stepped forward and pushed on the door. Inside was a room decorated floor to ceiling with roses and irises, candles and petals led the way to a table with two chairs.

Behind the table stood George, dressed in a black and white suit, with a cloth draped over his arm. To the side was Eliza in a silk silver dress sitting on a stone bench, her fingers caressing the strings of the guitar on her lap.

“What’s all this?” A smile made its way to Clarisse’s features. “Is this… the Room of Requirement?”

Fred nodded and extended his arm, which she took.
“Filch wouldn’t leave the original entrance, so Hogwarts provided another way.”

“Brilliant,” Clarisse whispered, taking in the beauty of the room as they made their way to the table.

Fred pulled out her chair, and kissed her before taking his seat.

“Good evening,” George put on a posh accent, “we’ve been expecting you. Tonight’s dinner will be served through three courses. First course will be a garden salad, expertly harvested and prepared by our own Rubeus Hagrid. Second course will be lemon salmon with garlic mushrooms cooked by resident house elves. Third course we will be serving spiked cauldron cakes provided by Honeydukes. All with the finest ingredients for the lovely couple.”

Clarisse couldn’t help but giggle.

He took a bottle and placed it upon his arm.
“Can I interest you in some Butterbeer, imported from The Three Broomsticks?”

“Sounds lovely.” She smiled, setting her flowers on the table.

George poured the drinks on goblets taken from the kitchens, and brought out the first course. Clarisse smiled looking at the salad, remembering when she helped her uncle Hagrid plant the ingredients a few months back.

“Bon appetit,” George gave a nod before sitting next to Eliza.

Fred smiled, taking hold of Clarisse’s hands.
“You didn’t think I’d just leave without a proper date, did you?”

“Actually… yes.” She gently stroked his hands with her thumbs. “Umbridge has made it seem like any happiness is forbidden.”

“There’s plenty of happiness out there for us.” Fred grinned. “By the time you get out of here Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes will be a household name, I guarantee it. Life will be good for all of us, Lord Moldy’s reign of terror aside.”

She nodded.
“Let’s hope we get that over with as well.”

“Well, there’s nothing we can’t overcome together.” He kissed her hand, making her blush. He lifted his goblet. “To a prosperous future.”

Clarisse raised hers.
“And Lord Moldy’s demise.”

They clinked their cups and sipped from their Butterbeers before starting to eat.

Through their meal, they reminisced about their relationship. Their first kiss 4 years ago before maturity caught up to them. Fred recalled how Clarisse stayed by his side when Ginny was taken to the Chamber of Secrets. When they became official summer of ‘94. All the mischief they got into together, and late detentions spent snogging when no one was looking.

Both of them rosy cheeked as they finished the last of the spiked cakes.

“You know, you’re one of few people to believe in me from the beginning,” Fred stroked her hand, “you make me feel like no matter how wild my dreams are, I can do anything. You’ve truly stolen my heart, Clarisse.”

He stood up and extended his hand to her.
“Your mother told me to seize the day, and that’s what I intend to do.”

Clarisse took his hand and stood as well, looking into his eyes; Fred placed a kiss upon her lips, reaching into his back pocket. When their lips parted and Clarisse opened her eyes, Fred was down on one knee holding a gold and amethyst ring.

A golden firefly held the stone on each side, inside the band was an inscription that read ‘You are my future’.

“She also told me,” he continued, “that your grandmother would have wanted you to have this, it was hers when she got engaged.” Fred cleared his throat. “Clarisse Firenze Alexandrov-Lupin, would you do me the honor of taking this fool as your husband?”

Clarisse teared up, her hands going to her face in disbelief; she nodded quickly.
“I would love nothing more.”

A flash of light took over the room as George snapped a picture.

Fred stood and placed the ring on her finger before embracing her and kissing her deeply. George and Eliza clapped.

“Congratulations!” Eliza ran over and hugged them both. “Welcome to the family, Freddie, I hope you’re ready.”

“I think I’m up for the challenge.” Fred winked.

“Nicely done.” George patted his brother’s shoulder, and looked at Clarisse. “Looking forward to having you as my sister-in-law.”

“Likewise,” Clarisse wiped away her tears, unable to stop smiling.

“Though,” George looked at his watch, “we’re almost past curfew, we should probably head out.”

“Right…” Fred smiled at Clarisse. “I promise I’ll do my best to give you the world.”

She stroked his cheek.
“You already do.”

They kissed once more as a door began to form behind them.

“Promise me something,” Clarisse looked at her fiancé.

“What’s that?”

“When you two leave, give Umbridge hell.” She smirked.

“Oh, we fully intend to.” Fred grinned.

Clarisse kissed him once more and grabbed her bouquet, before walking through the door into the Gryffindor girl’s dormitory.

The door closed behind them, and the twins were gone- probably retreating to their own dorms.

Clarisse looked down at her ring, giving a dreamy sigh. Finally between all the gloom, and problems back home, there was a reason to be happy.
Back to top Go down
http://pensandneedles.secrets-stories.net

Gold and Amethyst :: DTAC Short Story (Second Gen)
Page 1 of 1