Pens&Needles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Founded: Sept. 19th, 2010

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Angel Chao 2 Welcome to Pens&Needles! Angel Chao 2

Mending The Bond :: DTAC Short Story

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kaez Alexandrov
Head Administrator
Kaez Alexandrov

Mending The Bond :: DTAC Short Story Empty
PostSubject: Mending The Bond :: DTAC Short Story   Mending The Bond :: DTAC Short Story EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 12:14 am

Mending The Bond :: DTAC Short Story Spoileralert

I looked at my father as he sat on his armchair smoking his cigar, he didn't look much older than I remembered him as a child. I could tell something weighed heavily on his mind, his brow was furrowed as he stared out the window.

"You didn't say goodbye," I broke the silence.

"I know," he looked at me then, "it broke my heart to do it."

"It broke mine too."

Guilt flashed on his features, his gaze shifted to the ashtray where he tapped his cigar.

There was silence once more.

"You owe me a tea party."

A genuine smile graced his face, he took a drag of his cigar and exhaled before extinguishing the blaze within.
“Tea sounds like a great idea,” he stood, “I’ll be back.”

I stood and looked around the place, distant memories came back to me, everything had been left just as it had the last time we had stayed here on vacation.

I picked up one of the photo frames on the mantelpiece and smiled softly. Mom, dad, Sahar, and I posing in our bathing suits in front of the lake in the backyard. I teared up lightly observing as my mother placed a kiss on my chubby cheek, taking my hand to wave at the camera.

I cleared my throat and put it back; being without her never got easier.

“Here we are,” dad placed the tray on the coffee table, “rodopski tea, I remember you liked it.”

I turned and gave him my best smile.
“I vaguely remember liking it,” I walked over and sat back down, he poured the tea for me and added the honey before giving me the cup and saucer. I stirred the tea and took a whiff of it, it reminded me of Christmas when he was still around. “I haven’t had tea in 16 years…”

“I know,” he nodded, “Sahar told me.”

“You spoke to Sahar?” I lifted my eyebrows in surprise.

“Who do you think is her informant?” He stirred his own tea.

I looked at him for a moment, biting the inside of my cheek.
“How come you never tried to contact me?”

“Your mother wanted me to wait for the moment you came to me,” he looked me in the eyes, “she wanted to make sure I didn’t sway your decision, she wanted you to fulfill the prophecy on your own.”

There was silence once more as she each drank our tea.

I took a deep breath.
“Were you there the day mom was killed?”

“I was.”

“Why didn’t you save her?”

“I couldn’t…” He put his cup down on the table, “finish your tea, there’s something I need to show you.”

I nodded and sipped the last of the warm liquid down, instinctively I looked at the leftover tea leaves. The leaves had taken the shape of a hand, its fingers pointing towards him; a friendly symbol. I put the cup down once I finished.

“Lead the way,” I stood.

Dad nodded and stood as well, we walked up the stairs to the lone attic door. He took out his wand and gave it a tap, unlocking it. Once he opened the door the candles within lit up illuminating the room. Wooden shelves lined the walls full of vials, in the center of the room stood a pensieve.

We walked towards it and he pointed his wand to his temple, pulling from it strands of glowing silver that he carefully placed into the water. He motioned for me to look.

Hesitantly I took a step forward and dipped my face within, and suddenly I was transported back to the Alexandrov Manor. Great-Grandma Claire was there, so were mom and dad.

Dad wrapped his arms around mum, holding her close to his chest.

“A dark future awaits our family,” she allowed herself to cry onto his shirt, “but it’s all a means to an end, we just don’t know what that might be yet.”

He shook his head.
“No, I refuse, there has to be another way.”

“There isn’t,” she took a step back, “didn’t you pay attention? The reason you need to go is that I will be murdered, and she will be forced to join the Death Eaters… you need to be there to protect her,” she took a deep breath, “and if anyone is going to take my life, I want it to be you.”

“Do you realize what you’re asking of me, Anastasia?!” He gripped her arms, “this is insanity!”

“It’s the only way,” Claire spoke up, “if you’re not there to look after her, she could stumble and fail. You need to be there to ensure her survival.”

“What are you willing to do?” mum sniffled, “What are you willing to do to keep your family safe?”

Dad took a deep breath.
“Anything,” he answered begrudgingly.

"Just promise me something," mum’s eyes were pooled with pleading tears.

"Whatever you want," he stroked her cheek.

"Don't tell me when the day comes," she shook her head, "don't allow me to make you stay, you leave and you don't look back until our daughters are safe."

His brow furrowed as he allowed his face to show the sadness he repressed.
"I... I promise."

Mum looked into his eyes.
"Swear to it."

“Stassie…”

“Swear to it!” She screamed, her tears dropping to the ground, “please,” she sobbed, “do the unbreakable vow.”

He looked at her for a moment and nodded, he looked at Claire.
“If you could?”

“Of course,” she offered a soft smile before pulling her wand out.

Mum and dad took hold of their right wrists and Claire pointed her wand, a white glow emitting from the end.

“Do you vow that you will do whatever it takes to keep your family safe?” Mum began.

“I do,” he nodded, and a white thread of light weaved them together, connecting them.

“Do you vow that when the day comes for you to leave, won’t let us know?”

He tried to keep himself from breaking down.
“I do.”

“Do you vow that when the day comes for me to die, you will be the one to take my life?” She looked into his eyes, letting him know she wouldn’t take no for an answer.

“I-I do.”

“Do you vow to never forget how much I love you?” It was now mum that struggled to keep it together.

“I do.”

“These are the vows you have taken,” Claire moved her wand back, “failure to follow through comes at the ultimate price.”

The light vanished into their skin, leaving only faint scars behind.

They embraced each other and allowed themselves to let out their emotions, crying onto each other's shoulders.

I lifted my head and took several steps back, wrapping my arms around myself. Mum knew she’d die, and she asked dad to leave, she asked him to kill her… all so everything would happen as it should.

“Your mother believed in the prophecy,” he got closer, “and she was willing to do whatever it took to ensure you and Nathaniel were successful.”

“Noah,” I closed my eyes thinking back to him, “he likes to be called Noah.”

“Morgan,” he wrapped his arms around me, “I’m sorry.”

For a moment I remained frozen, not wanting to let my emotions get to me. I couldn’t blame him, he didn’t want to do it, I could see it; he wanted to protect his family.

Slowly I wrapped my arms around him and allowed my tears to escape, staining his dad’s robes. And I let it all out, a lifetime of sadness, resentment, and anger, as I held on tight to him.

He stroked my hair and kissed the top of my head.
“I promise I’ll protect you to the best of my abilities,” he pulled away and cupped my cheeks to look into my eyes, “I’ll never leave you again.”

Back to top Go down
http://pensandneedles.secrets-stories.net

Mending The Bond :: DTAC Short Story
Page 1 of 1