Pens&Needles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Founded: Sept. 19th, 2010

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Angel Chao 2 Welcome to Pens&Needles! Angel Chao 2

July 31st, 1990 :: DTAC Short Story

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alexandrov Prince
Kaez's Cousin
Administrator
Alexandrov Prince

July 31st, 1990 :: DTAC Short Story Empty
PostSubject: July 31st, 1990 :: DTAC Short Story   July 31st, 1990 :: DTAC Short Story EmptyThu May 21, 2020 11:29 pm

July 31st, 1990 :: DTAC Short Story Spoileralert

The day began like any other day on Number four, Private Drive. The sun rose from the west, Mrs. Figg continuously took photos of street cats and the Dursely house stood proud of its sheer muggle-ness.

Aunt Petunia shrill voice could be heard for miles, "wake up!" she'd continue until Harry came out from his cupboard underneath the stairs. "Wake up boy!"

Harry Potter turned in his bed, unsure if it would be worth getting up today. He reached for his broken pair of glasses, held together by tape, and put them on, the glass had been so badly scratched the last time he'd been pushed to the floor that he could hardly see through one eye. His calendar reminded him of the date, 31st of July 1990, Harry would be turning 10 years old today.

July 31st, 1990 :: DTAC Short Story 241?cb=20140621030117

He finished getting ready, recent hand-me-downs from his cousin Dudley, the shirt was incredibly oversized for such a small boy but the Dursleys would refuse any time Harry ever brought up getting his own clothes, often lading him without meals. "Coming Aunt Petunia," Harry replied after his aunt banged on the door again. Aunt Petunia was in the kitchen preparing Uncle Vernon and Dudley breakfast, it was no surprise to Harry when no one wished him a happy birthday.

"Honestly, Petunia, what are we to do with him?" Uncle Vernon snarled. The Dursleys had planned a backyard pool day for Dudley and his friends, a party that unsurprisingly Harry wasn't allowed to attend. In moments like this, he'd usually be sent two streets down to Mrs. Figgs's house, the mere thought of this sent a shiver down Harrys' spine.

Aunt Petunia handed Harry the trays of food, not caring if he had a solid grip on it, "Mrs. Figgs won't take him, plans or whatever - what does that woman have to do? She never leaves her house. Don't drop it!"

Harry caught the plate before it slid down the end of the tray, feeling lucky for it and the fact that he wouldn't have to spend his birthday with Mrs. Figg, her cabbage smelling house, or the stray cat photos she enjoyed showing him.

Dudley wobbled his way into the kitchen wearing the brand new clothes his parents had gotten him for the occasion, "what are you still doing here?" his large head snapped towards him. He looked at his parents, his face red with anger.

Feeling one of his famous tantrums beginning, Aunt Petunia rushed over to Dudley wrapping him in her arms, "not to worry Popkins. We won't let him ruin your big day." She turned her son away from Harry, mouthing to Uncle Vernon, get rid of him.

Uncle Vernon stood from the kitchen table, grabbing Harry by the arm and dragging him back towards the cupboard. "You listen here boy, you will not ruin Dudley's special day - you hear me boy?"

Before Harry could answer the doorbell rang, Uncle Vernon cursed under his breath, releasing Harry and wobbling towards the door.

Vernon Dursley answered the door to find a young man standing before him, a man he didn't recognize, "can I help you?"

The young man remained courteous through Uncle Vernons' snark comment.
"Hello, my name is Nathaniel, I'm here to pick up Harry Potter."

At the sound of his name, Harry moved closer to the door trying to get a better look at the man standing outside. Harry felt like he'd seen the man before like he knew him but knew he'd never seen his face. He had dark blonde hair and a muscular physique, but his most defining features were the bright indigo eyes that perfectly framed his face.

Uncle Vernon continued to question the man, "what do you mean you're here to pick up Harry Potter? We haven't called anyone to take him."

July 31st, 1990 :: DTAC Short Story Tumblr_o18bqlJcw61txaqq4o2_r1_250

The man smiled, a sense of calm washed over Harry, "I'm so sorry, Mr. Dursley, I'm Nathaniel Figg, my Aunt Arabella's plans were canceled. She'd be delighted to watch Harry for a few hours, you may call her if you wish."

"PETUNIA!" Uncle Vernon yelled, the Nathaniel rolled his eyes while Uncle Vernon was calling his wife. "Figgs is taking the boy! You hear that Dudleykins?" Uncle Vernon once again grabbed on to Harry's arm, pulling him towards the door, "No earlier than ten." with a push from his uncle, Harry fell on to the man and the door was slammed shut.

Harry took a moment to compose himself, upset that he would have to spend his birthday at Mrs. Figgs house.
"Hello, Harry Potter," Nathaniel kneeled down now face to face with Harry, "I've waited a very long time to meet you."

"Hello. Should we be going?" the man smiled, again the feeling of knowing him washed over Harry.

"Where would you like to go? It's your birthday after all."

Harry stared for a moment, "I'm sorry?" he wasn't accustomed to people acknowledging his birthday or him in general. "How do you know it's my birthday?"

"I have a sixth sense about these things." He laughed, "now then, what does Harry Potter want to do for his birthday?"

There was a small ice cream shop past the end of Wisteria Walk, here is where Harry wanted to go. He'd see it every time they drove past in order to take Dudley and him to St. Gregory's Primary School, he'd never been inside but the signs on the door always looked delicious.

Harry sat across from Nathaniel, eating the ice cream he'd bought him. Nathaniel however did not eat, instead choosing to order a drink. "Are... are you really Mrs. Figgs nephew?" Harry nervously asked.

Nathaniel chuckled, "No, Harry, I'm not. But, if it's any consolation, she is a very good friend."

"If I may Nathaniel, who are you? How do you know me?"

"Please, call me Noah. I've known you for a very long time Harry Potter, but everything in due time; for now know that I am a friend. What happened to your glasses, Harry?"

Harry buried his face in the ice cream, no one ever believed him when he said Dudley would push and punch him. Noah's expression changed to one of sadness.
"I'd believe you," he said.

"How did you...,"

"I actually have something for you." Noah reached into his bag which seemed too deep for the size of it, "I hope they fit."
Noah handed Harry a small rectangular wrapped in a lavender colored ribbon. "Go ahead, open it."
Harry slowly removed the ribbon, opening the box. Inside was a pair of round spectacle glasses.
"Try them on."

He'd outgrown his old prescription years ago, and even though they were so scratched and held together by tape, Uncle Vernon refused to buy him new ones. Harry removed his beaten glasses from his face, putting the new ones on, his vision now perfect.

July 31st, 1990 :: DTAC Short Story Tumblr_lonwj7dimh1qh63geo1_500

"How do they look?" Harry asked.

Noah remained silent, his smile sad underneath, "you look so much like him," he said wiping a tear from his cheek. "These belonged to a very good friend of mine, I'm certain he'd want you to have them Harry."

The duo continued to explore, doing more of the things Harry had been wanting to do. Before they knew it, they were once again on Number four, Private Drive, Harry stopped at the door. "Thank you for today and the glasses." Going back down the stairs, Harry hugged Noah, tighter than he'd ever hugged anyone.

Noah held on to the boy, Harry noticed tears streaming down Noahs' face.
"Harry?" he struggled to get the words out, trying not to audibly cry, "I'm so sorry." Harry didn't understand why he was apologizing, he'd given him the best birthday he'd ever had. "Let's keep today our little secret, okay?"
Harry nodded, letting go of Noah and heading back to the door.

"Goodbye." Harry closed the door behind him.

Noah stared at the Dursleys house, his heart aching for the life that he and his cousin had caused the young boy.
"Until we meet again, Harry Potter"

July 31st, 1990 :: DTAC Short Story 1061354312e6ff2860b712bc6e3b9289
Back to top Go down
http://pensandneedles.secrets-stories.net/

July 31st, 1990 :: DTAC Short Story
Page 1 of 1